[Koha] Migrate Alice for Windows

Seth Mayo smayo at stpeters.nsw.edu.au
Fri Jun 19 19:00:06 NZST 2009

So the mapping and changing in MARCedit seems OK now.  However, I
still have a couple more questions for you.

1.  There seems to be Alice fields missing in the export and I'm
wondering what you did about this or if there is an Alice setting to
correct it.  I entered a fake 'book' into both systems and exported to
MARC for comparison.  The following are the results.  Note in 852 of
the Alice export there are no subfields for missing, supplier,
shelving location, acquisition date, etc.  In the Koha export these
subfields are present.  Did you have this problem?  Did you manually
input it, just leave it out or did you find a way to export it?

Sample Alice export:
=LDR  00612nam  22002171a 4500
=020  \\$a1234567890$c0.00
=040  \\$aSt. Peter's Anglican Primary - Library
=082  \\$aF$bAUT
=100  \\$aAuthor 1
=245  \\$aThis book is a test$cby Seth Mayo$h[Text]
=250  \\$aEdition$bAdditionalEdition
=260  \\$aPublisher Place$bPublisher$c2009
=300  \\$aPhysicalDesc
=440  \\$aSeries$vPart
=500  \\$aNotes
=600  \\$aSubject 1
=600  \\$aSubject 2
=658  \\$aC.A.P.A.
=700  \\$aAuthor 2
=850  \\$aSt Peter's Anglican School
=852  \\$kLocation$hF$iAUT$pR432252560$97.65$t0$zComment

Sample Koha export:

=LDR  00701nam a22002417a 4500
=008  090619t\\\\\\\\xxu|||||\||||\00|\0\eng\d
=020  \\$a1234567890
=040  \\$aSt Peters
=082  \\$aF$bAUT
=100  \\$aAuthor, 1$91
=245  \\$aThis book is a test$cby Seth Mayo$h[Text]
=250  \\$aEdition$bAdditionalEdition
=260  \\$aPublisher Place$bPublisher$c2009
=300  \\$aPhysicalDesc
=440  \\$aSeries$vPart$92
=500  \\$aNotes
=600  \\$aSubject 1$93
=600  \\$aSubject 2$94
=658  \\$aC.A.P.A.$95
=700  \\$aAuthor, 2$96
=942  \\$2ddc$cBOOK
=999  \\$c7$d7
=952  \\$pR432252560$40$eSupplier1$00$6F_AUT$93$bSPAPS$10$oF
AUT$d2009-06-19$t0$zComment$70$2ddc$g7.65$yBOOK$aSPAPS

2.  How did you tackle the importing of different types of resources?
For example I've been working on the assumption that all resources are
of type 'Book' or 'Text' when in actual fact the library has cameras,
CDs, DVDs, audio resources, video resources, etc.  Did you manually go
through and change all these records or did you export them in stages
and import them in stages accordingly or did you take a different
approach all together?

Thanks for your continued help in this transition and for patiently
helping me with my questions.  The goal at this point is to learn as
much as I can about how everything needs to be transitioned, how to
customise the Koha system and how to use it.  By learning these now we
hope to be able to provide training throughout the second half of this
school year so when we do our 'production' transition in the summer
everyone will be ready to run with the system for the next year.

Seth Mayo
IT Technical Manager
Email:  smayo at stpeters.nsw.edu.au
St Peter's Anglican Primary School