[Koha] Counting the cost

Nelson Fredsell -CCE nelson at cfce.org.za
Thu Feb 19 03:12:10 NZDT 2009

I am considering Koha for our very small libraries (Fewer than 50
transactions/day).  We might get some help doing the initial setup on a
CentOS 5.2 server.  We're wanting a basic install, allowing patrons to do
online search of catalogues of multiple collections in a single library, and
multiple libraries belonging to legally separate NGOs.

+Once set up, is it possible that it could need very little
support/maintenance?  We could pay something for set up, but ongoing annual
support fees we'd like to avoid.

+And I suppose that support could be provided remotely, perhaps on an hourly
basis, with the exception of possibly needing to reboot the server.

+We have limited IT skills inhouse and NO full time library staff.

+ Staff who do the cataloguing  would not be professional librarians.

+We've developed our own cataloguing system, not standard in any way - can
Koha work with this?  Maybe over time we'd like to standardize.

+If so, the chaser question is that each very small (NGO/school) library has
its  own cataloguing system: would this be a problem for Koha - single
install, multiple administrators (one at each library).

I don't want to bite off more than we can chew, and I don't want to leave my
NGO in the lurch after I'm no longer employed there.  I have about three
months to implement something, and make sure it's stable.

Thanks very much for feedback,

Nelson

Administrator / resident techie

Centre for Creative Education