[Koha] Barcode not being generated in new MARC records

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 03:33:23 NZST 2008

Bruce --

All forms of barcode autogeneration except incremental are problematic.  I
strongly recommend against using them.

"Home branch" or "hbyymmincr" style barcodes, in particular, are not
implemented in a widely applicable way.  It should not be used by
multi-branch libraries, or libraries with more than 9999 items, or libraries
with non-4-character branch codes, or libraries with digits or underscores
in their branch codes... or basically anyone.

The query that obtains the next valid barcode for hbyymmincr is:
        $query = "SELECT MAX(CAST(SUBSTRING(barcode,7,4) AS signed)) FROM
items WHERE barcode REGEXP ?";
        my $sth=$dbh->prepare($query);
        $sth->execute("^[a-zA-Z]{1,}$year");

In this case, year would be "08", but you can see the flaws in this query
result in the extreme limitations above.

You can print the branch and year directly on the barcode stickers and spine
labels you generate.  That info does not need to be part of the barcode
itself.

--Joe Atzberger,
LibLime