[Koha] Searching UTF-8 entries [Koha 3.01.00.002]

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 14:51:23 NZDT 2008

Krishnan Mani wrote:
> Hello HS,
>
> i am not using Zebra, but most of the stuff from my experience below
> will work regardless:
>
> Hopefully, you followed the install instructions that help ensure the
> system is setup to use UTF-8 (these appear in more than one of the
> install guides on kohadocs and elsewhere, for e.g., see INSTALL.fedora7
> in the root folder when you unzip koha-3.00.00-stableRC1).
>
> i am quoting only a *snippet* of the install instructions below:
> QUOTE
> To check, open a terminal window and type the locale.
> You must obtain:
> LANG = en_GB.UTF-8

Check. I have:
$> locale
LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_CA:en
LC_CTYPE="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

> 1.4.2 The web server Apache 2 is it configured to use UNICODE?
>
> To verify, using a text editor, open the httpd.conf file located
> in / etc / httpd / conf and look if it contains the directive:
>
> AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

Check. I have:
$> cat /etc/apache2/conf.d/charset
# <SNIP>
AddCharset UTF-8 .utf8
AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

> 1.4.3 The MySQL server is it configured to use UNICODE?
>
> NB: mysqld service must be started.
> In a Terminal window, type the command mysql, then an SQL
> to display variables content server configuration.
> Text of query:
>
> show where variable_name variables like 'char%';
> UNQUOTE

This I am not sure about. I am not getting any conf variable with utf in it:
$> pwd
/etc/mysql
$> sudo grep -r utf *
$>

So I think I need to fix this before proceeding further.

Thanks.