[Koha] Call numbers

S/O Baljkas baljkas at mts.net
Sun Aug 10 13:34:55 NZST 2008

Saturday, August 9, 2008      20:30 CDT

Hi, Kate,

Just as a brief addendum to Joshua's proper answer, there is another work-around possible if you and your team aren't up to the Perl and Javascript'ing that the experts would use: you could use a free tool like MARCEdit which has rather simple 'script' functions to import your records, construct barcode numbers, and then re-export them.

The Help info with the program is actually nicely complete, but just briefly now, IIRC, (and assuming that you can discriminate easily between the FICT records and ones with other kinds of call numbers), you should be able to read and copy info from a subfield like $100a, truncate (to 3 or 4), and append that to the field of your choosing for call number.

I hope that quick explanation makes some sense and gives you another option.

In the meanwhile, welcome to the Koha community and good luck with your library going live!

Cheers,
Steven F. Baljkas
library technician at large
Koha neophyte