[Koha] Re: Koha on etch - a pain?

Beda Szukics beda at muri-gries.ch
Wed Oct 31 07:54:12 NZDT 2007

Hi Pablo

>    I had installed successfully installed Koha v2.2.5 and v2.2.9 on
> Debian etch and now on a Lenny, following the guidelines for Debian
> sarge on www.kohadocs.org.

I followed that useful document too. I managed to install 2.2.7 on sarge and
I managed to upgrade that to 2.2.9 also. But I didn't give much attention to
the enconding problem. So I wanted to start all over again and do it
properly. (I need a good utf-8 support on Koha because I think that's the
only way I can upload my old bibliographical data - I even managed to do
so).

> The changes are minimal.

When did you do your install? Some weeks ago or more than two months?
Because I have the feeling the problem has to do with new versions of some
perl modules.

By the way: Could you do a little test for me? Retrieving a record with the
z3950-search I get the data entered in latin1 into the MARC-framework. But
I'm quite sure the server delivers the record in utf8 (I checked with
MarcEdit).

So if you could search ISBN 3170183338 on server aleph.unibas.ch port 9909
database IDS_UTF language MARC21 you should get a title with ü and ä in
it. With me the two letters are represented with ? and only if I change the
display-encoding in the firefox they appear correctly. I would be most
grateful to hear what you get.

> Sorry, I couldn't
> understand where is the problem on the logs you sent. If you install
> it without problem and then it comes using Koha, I think the problem
> might be the mysql database. Are you sure you have the right
> permissions for all the tables?

Yes. I can see everything. I can manage alterations in the sytem parameters.
The only thing witch for me didn't work until now is addbiblio

Thank you and greetings           Beda