[Koha] Mac Mini

Christopher L Middleman cmiddleman at stcames.com
Fri Oct 26 02:17:06 NZDT 2007

I wanted to respond to poster who was wondering about the Mac mini.
Here is something to think about:
http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/08/28/faster.than.quad.core.g5/

I am not sure if you really need to worry about raid and hot swapable
power supplies.  These may not be needed.  If you are doing full backups
once a week and incrementals every day having a hard drive go down will
not be a huge pain.  Do not get me wrong, Raid is nice, but you are
going to spend $350 for a quality raid by 3Ware.  Look here for
information on backup software:
http://xanana.ucsc.edu/xtal/backup_X_and_fink.html

If you are a large syten then a fully decked server would be a smart
choice but if you are small do not waste your money like some people are
suggesting here.  You can always get something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822165026 to take
care of your storage needs.  Your only problem may be growth but that
depends on the size of your library.  There are other ones out there
that connect with a PCIe card.  You really need to think about how much
disk space you will need.  250MB will probably be enough cosidering that
the bulk of it will be text.

A few people in this group think spending the money and having paying
outside people to do it is the answer.  Try it on your own at first and
see what happens.  You already own the Mac Mini you will lose nothing by
installing the software and seeing what happens.  If you do decide to go
the server route I suggest installing Ubuntu for the software.  There
are a ton of tutorials on how to handle that stuff and the forums are
great for help without the attitude you get from some of the other distros.