[Koha] Newbie questions re servers for Koha

mourik jan c heupink heupink at merit.unu.edu
Sat Nov 24 23:39:51 NZDT 2007

Hi Tammy,

If you want students to be able to login the opac, you need to install
koha on a system that can be reached via http. This can either be local
on your network only, or by hosting it on the internet using a hosting
company. (assuming that student pc's have internet access...)

To install koha, i think (though I'm not 100% sure) that root access on
a server is needed. This is something to keep into consideration when
talking to a hosting company.

When going for a local install, I would always install koha (or any
server like package) on a DEDICATED server system. (meaning: not just
'one of the computers in the school's network') This server doesn't need
to be incredibly fast, but it needs to be stable, reliable, and
backup-ed! (backed-up?)

I think first you need to find out what the environment is like in the
school. Do they have a network or not?

Regards,
mj