[Koha] installer database error

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Apr 26 23:26:16 NZST 2007

Ron Wickersham <rjw at mail.alembic.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2007, MJ Ray wrote:
> > [...] does anyone know a complicated (one with extra modules)
> > perl web application with a particularly good installation?
>
> discus.   www.discusware.com
>
> uses web setup, all perl.

Thanks.  I took a look.  First, the disappointment: the discus
installer is actually less advanced than our current installer, so it
doesn't handle any of the complications that have broken ours
(VirtualHosts, databases, multiple installs).

It has lots of toggles for Unix or Windows, which I'd really like to
avoid if possible because it makes it harder to support Windows users
when they hit problems.

The discus installer doesn't handle prerequisites at all - it just
says in the licence that your warranty is void if you don't have the
prerequisites already.  I know our current checker is broken, but at
least we check.  Voiding users who don't have all the modules yet
isn't an option for a GPL'd package like Koha.

Discus has one extra module, which it just copies it into the source
tree, as far as I can see.  I'm not sure that's a good idea for
something like Koha which uses lots of its own modules.

Now the good: It does have one very good feature which Koha should
imitate.  If the installer can't write a config file (permissions or
other reasons), it displays it as text for the user to copy-paste into
the right place.  So, thanks for the tip, as we got an idea from it.

Any more suggestions of complex perl web applications?

Thanks,
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.