[Koha] perl module problems on Mac OS X Server 10.4

José Parrella joseparrella at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 04:22:29 NZDT 2006

Roger Hart escribió:
> Fatal Error: Your default XML Parser (XML::SAX::PurePerl) is broken.
> One way to avoid the problem is to install XML::SAX::Expat -- it will
> install itself as the system default XML parser and then you will be
> able to install XML::Simple successfully.

When you run "perl Makefile.PL" in the standard XML::SAX distribution,
it does the following checks:

<snip>
    my $default_parser = ref(XML::SAX::ParserFactory->parser());
    if ($default_parser eq 'XML::SAX::PurePerl') {
      my $version = XML::SAX->VERSION;
      if($version > 0.12  and  $version < 0.15) {
        die <<"EOF";
</snip>

So it seems to query XML::SAX::ParserFactory about a "parser", which can
return XML::SAX::PurePerl or (possibly) other stuff. If the version of
XML::SAX::PurePerl is 0.13 or 0.14, it will die with the message that
you previously quoted. One quick and dirty solution might be trying to
install the 0.8 (or < 0.13, in any case) distribution in [1].

However, if we look at the documentation for XML::SAX::ParserFactory in
[2], we can specify a default parser in the SAX.ini file. In my
distribution I've got a ParserDetails.ini under
/usr/share/perl5/XML/SAX, which I can tweak to a sane parser. The
PurePerl.pm version I have in my machine is "0.9". I use Debian GNU/Linux.

I hope this information results useful to you.
Jose

[1]
http://backpan.cpan.org/modules/by-module/XML/MSERGEANT/XML-SAX-PurePerl-0.80.tar.gz
[2] http://search.cpan.org/~msergeant/XML-SAX-0.14/SAX/ParserFactory.pm

--
José M. Parrella -> Debian Sid, k2.6.17.13
Escuela de Ingenieria Electrica