[Koha] Install problem - SQL errors...

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Tue Jul 25 19:43:05 NZST 2006

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 09:25:50AM +0200, Tomasz Holdowanski said:
> Hello,
>
> I`ve been trying to install Koha 2.2.4 for several days. I succeeded
> without big problems with installing it with Mysql 4.0.20, however it
> appeared that I need 5.0.21 because of UTF-8 and polish charset
> support. I reinstalled Linux (Arch)(screwed up a few things and
> wanted a clean install) and put Mysql 5.0.21 in with all Perl things
> and so on. Mysql server seems to work fine, phpMyAdmin connects to it
> without problems, mysqladmin from command line also does. Koha
> installs without problems until database creation - then  it stops
> and displays this message:
>
> ERROR 1064 (42000) at line 772: You have an error in your SQL syntax;
> check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for
> the right syntax to use near 'return char(4) default NULL,
>   renewals tinyint(4) default NULL,
>   timestamp tim' at line 9
>
> followed with a whole bunch of DBD::mysql errors.
>
> What did I do wrong? Does anyone have any idea how to fix that? Please help.

Hi Tomasz

For a start is there a reason you choose to install 2.2.4 not 2.2.5 (thats
the latest stable release).

You can get it from savannah at
http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/koha/koha-2.2.5.tar.gz

(Its linked to on the http://www.koha.org site)

Now as to your error, its to do with the fact that there are some more
reserved words in MySQL 5 than there were in versions 4 and 3.
One of the words in one of the tables is one of the new reserved words.

This may be fixed in 2.2.5 (if its not it will definitely be for 2.2.6), if
not the fix for it is to edit the koha.mysql file

find the line that is
return char(4) default NULL,
and make it
`return` char(4) default NULL,

Hope this helps

Chris
027 4500 789                                       Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz