[Koha] Newbie: Windows NT server, Linux and Koha

Larry Stamm larry at larrystamm.com
Fri Nov 25 17:42:13 NZDT 2005

 Fabian Kruse <d0c at gmx.de> writes:

    > Okay, but I still will have to integrate the system into the NT
    > network, or am I misuinderstanding something?  I think this should
    > work via Samba, or are there any other possibilities? I expect
    > that I won´t be able to connect the Linux server by other means,
    > or are there?

The only reason I can think of to set up Samba would be if you wanted to
share a printer connected to your linux web server.  Even then, Win2k
and newer have the ability to print via IPP protocol, so you might not
need it at all.

The Windows boxes will mainly interact with the Linux server through the
HTTP protocol, just like any other web site.  If you wanted to put the
MySQL database on a Windows server, well, that would complicate things a
bit, so don't do it unless you have no choice.

For remote access to the Linux server, you can install OpenSSH on it and
the free Putty client on the Windows boxes to manage the server from
Windows machines.  Also, you might want a regular FTP server on the
server as well, as long as it was only accessible from a trusted LAN.

Other than that, just set up your Linux server and plug it into your
network with a static IP address and all the boxes connected to your
network should be able to connect to it with a web browser pointed at
the the server's name or IP address:Port.

Regards,
--
Larry Stamm
McBride Public Library